[Bf-committers] RE: Blender Plugins

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Apr 25 13:45:29 CEST 2005

Hi,

(Reading the thread on plugin API...)

I'm a little concerned on the direction of the discussion here...
designing a good plugin API for Blender won't be interesting if it
doesn't reflect how Blender currently works itself.
As original designer of Blender, I really get confused by the proposals
here... I miss general objectives or a compliant & functional
structure. How the API technically is structured is really a decision
for later.

Also keep in mind that a program like 3DS was designed from scratch as
a plugin system. Maya as well, although it has MEL as glue too. Blender
was not *at all* designed that way.
Second to keep in mind that plugin APIs also serve as a means for
closed source applications to allow third parties to extend
functionality. We don't need that really... within a production
environment, anyone can quickly add the temporal features in Blender
they need themselves.
Third to keep in mind that a plugin system for Blender cannot be made
"commercial" with closed source, only GPLed code is allowed to be a
plugin in Blender. I doubt it will become an incentive for third
parties to make commercial Blender extensions with GPL only.

If you look at how the python API developed - apart from some pending
issues that were caused by too "un-blenderish" design decisions - it
does a pretty good job in reflecting Blender, how Blender actually
works, and allowing to extend it with new tools. The current team
spends long and long design hours on keeping that quality, and
improving possibilities to extend Blender.
Already a very long time ago, it was decided to choose Python as the #1
extension/plugin language for Blender. It has many benefits over a
plugin API (like accessibility, compliancy) and it allows anyone to
build scripts under any license (e.g. allows closed source scripts
too). You can even extend Blender - via python - with a closed source
library/plugin.

So... all in all, my guess would still be to stick to one system in
Blender, and help out designing better Python methods to extend Blender
in ways that would be acceptable on a level for each plugin developer.
For those specific "plugins" that would require raw speed (like for
textures or image plugins) we can use Python potentially still, just a
matter of smart code work here.
Think of a Python based shading API, like renderman! :)

-Ton-