[Bf-committers] Naming layer

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Apr 20 13:47:52 CEST 2005

Hi,

The Blender layer system uses bitmasks, meaning there is no single
layer you can use to give it a name. If we like it or not, but it's
being used (and useful) to define relationships between objects, like
metaballs or do define which lamps give lights on what objects (lamp in
layer 1,2,3, object in layer 3, scene showing layer 2+3).

There has been a discussion on extending layers in the past, especially
on the functionality mailing list. My main issue is that people should
come with real intelligent & well designed solutions, keeping the ease
of use, and really extending it with compatible & future proof
functionality.

As for the instinctive layer manager; this implementation looks like
the usual quick & easy hack, something probably Alexander can use
perfectly, but not something that complies to a standard as I like to
see it for Blender. A good system to manage relations/grouping or
properties for your Objects in a Scene will be just more work,
requiring in-depth understanding of the full range of Blender, a
maximum integration level, also related to extending the project as
started for the Outliner for example.

Sometimes I can seem like a show-stopping bitchy conservative here...
:) I realize we need to find good ways to attract & involve new
developers. But the times are also over to accept each code
contribution only because it's a desired feature. We only run into
troubles with that.
Don't forget that the parts that nicely work within a Blender
architecture are the real strong aspects in Blender, working already
for 10 years, and still future proof. This stability allows for quick
hacks, which is OK for within a production environment (like
instinctive blender), but not per definition fit for inclusion in
official releases.

-Ton-