[Bf-committers] Naming layer

Ted Schundler tschundler at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:43:40 CEST 2005

On 4/19/05, Alexander Ewering <blender at instinctive.de> wrote:
> Ton has made clear that it's not a wanted feature though.

Um, not that I recall. The basic layer issue as discussed on the ML
went like this:

Alex: Look, I have this cool layer manager.
Everyone: Indeed. We should adopt that into BF-blender somehow,
Misc people: But it could use locking and always/never render toggles.
Alex: Maybe.
::discussion about that::
Alex: Ok.
Ton: Interesting idea. Needs some research. Maybe we can integrate the
mesh coloring idea with that.
Someone: But it doesn't work well for vertical layouts:
Alex: Huh?
Matt Ebb: A lot of us like to have button windows vertical instead
horizontal. You should use panels lake the rest if the 2.3x Blender
UI. Then it would be no problem.
Alex: Nooooooooooooooooo. No way in hell am I using panels. The
scripts window doesn't.
Chris Burt: It is the standard you know. Can't we all be friends?
Alex: No. Someone else can rewrite it. Not me.
Someone: Well can you put it in Tuhopuu?
Alex: No. Maybe someone else could.
Me: Can you release a patch?
Alex: No. HD crash. Layermanager is gone.

And then no discussion of it for awhile.

Anyways, at least from the users, it seems this is deffinately a
desired feature. So the issue is not the layermanager, but it's
implementation. And no one has stepped up to write one that fits in
with the current UI design.

Someone just needs to bear with the criticism involved in working on
an easily critisizable project long enough to see it through. (it's
easy to understand, so it's easy to have lots of opinions about - the
bikeshed problem)

Ted