[Bf-committers] dxf import

Martin DeMello martindemello at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 20:01:54 CEST 2005

On 4/13/05, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Could you also make a small 'regression suite', with DXF reference
> files you use for testing? Especially having a small collecton of
> reference files exported from the various packages would help.

Hi Ton,

I'm not sure how to go about doing a real regression suite - I've
mostly been testing it by importing a bunch of dxf files containing
various combinations of primitives, and seeing "by eye" if they look
correct. I'd be happy to code one, but I'll need some help in the
beginning.

> A short doc would also help; like describing what primitives currently
> are supported, and what 3d package exports were tested.

Good point; I'll write up the doc sometime in the next few days. I've
only tested this against AutoCAD files, but since DXF is an open
format, and since AutoCAD's exporter is the de facto reference
implementation, I think that should be sufficient.

> We can also officially appoint you as dxf import/export maintainer. So
> we then can nicely assign you the bug reports, if these get submitted
> of course!

Sure :) I don't know if I'll get time to work on the exporter in the
near future, but I'll try. I am  actively maintaining the importer, so
please do go ahead and assign my name to both.

martin