[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/include transform.h blender/source/blender/makesdna DNA_meta_types.h blender/source/blender/python/api2_2x Metaball.c blender/source/blender/src drawobject.c editmball.c editview.c transform.c transform_conversions.c

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Apr 12 08:44:46 CEST 2005

On 12 Apr 2005, at 5:31 AM, Jiri Hnidek wrote:

> jiri (Jiri Hnidek) 2005/04/11 21:31:05 CEST
>
>    - It is possible to change dx, dy and dz params in 3Dview with
> manipulators
>       or with some shortcuts (S-X, S-Y, S-Z).
>    - User can scale stiffness when green circle is selected.
>    - MetaElem is selected with RMB click at green or red circle, then
> user can
>       grab or rotate with MetaElem as usual.

Hey Jiri, this is great stuff! Well done!

One problem though, is that the circle 'stiffness' manipulator should
work consistently with the other manipulators, with a click-drag and
not with the 'selection' method it has currently.

As far as I can tell, the manipulator is representing an abstract
concept - the 'Stiffness' number. It's not a discrete object or
sub-object, so having it selectable is confusing and a bit against the
idea of "select an object -> choose from a range of tools to operate on
it".

For example, it doesn't mean anything to select the circle, then press
G to move or R to rotate. Because I have the circle selected, I expect
it to be operate on what's selected, and do something different to when
I have the normal metaball selected, but it doesn't.

Additional to this, having the stiffness transform steal the meaning of
the S key is not good. S should always mean scale - adding little
'modes' makes it hard to keep track of what's going on. It's also
confusing because the headerprint still displays the changing Size X,
Size Y, Size Z values (but this is not what is being changed). It would
be much better to add a separate hotkey (like Alt S) to directly enter
the 'Stiffness transform' tool, then you don't have to worry at all
about remembering different abstract selections and modes, and it would
also integrate nicely with menus etc.

And a tiny note: you forgot to redraw the edit buttons after
transforming with the manipulators :)

Anyway, other than this, it's really nice work! I hope to see more
types of data editable like this.

Cheers

Matt