[Bf-committers] Re: Minnaert shader

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Apr 9 14:35:34 CEST 2005

Here's an example of the artifacts produced with the "original" Minneart
implementation that has been referred to online:
    http://www.warpax.com/temp/minnaert-example-artifacts.png
The artifacts are the ragged edges of the sphere on the left, caused by
the intensity of the shader being much greater than 1.0 in these regions.

This is exactly the same scene as the one I posted earlier:
    http://www.warpax.com/temp/minnaert-example.png

The difference between the two is that in the "artifacts" one, I have
not performed any clamping of the dot product values.

See how different they are, regardless of the "k"-value?  This is why I
think that any discussion of exact values of "k" (or whatever we want to
call this parameter) is almost irrelevant.  To make the shader work, it
just has to be changed anyway.

--
Jonathan Merritt BE(Mech)/BSc
PhD Student - Equine Biomechanics