[Bf-committers] animation time scaling

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Sat Apr 9 01:03:32 CEST 2005

Hey all, ... hum .. where to start ..
ton wanted me to do a *simple* interface for softbodies, like giving
frequency and amplitude as user control ( not worrying on spring
constants 'n stuff )
(((yep ton .. 've got an elephant's memory too :) )))

well i don't know if I am fightin windmills again,
but:
Havinig softbodies following phyisical laws in 'real' time some funny
things will happen right now:
As we all ( should ) know a pendulum == 1 mass point allowed to move on
a circle ( with radius R ) having a gravitaional constant G defines a
clock with
frequency omega = sqrt(G/R) ,
the same as  period = 2 * PI * sqrt(R/G).
So IMHO this shoud hold over changing frame rates in *real* time.

Observation: all other time dependant processing (AKA IPOs, key frames,
actions) is done 'frame based' --> changing *speed* with changing 'frame
rate'

any suggestions on that? (calling theeth,lukep,b-ix !)

BM