[Bf-committers] Re: Minnaert shader

GSR - FR famrom at infernal-iceberg.com
Tue Apr 5 19:42:00 CEST 2005

Hi,
matt at mke3.net (2005-04-05 at 1916.53 +1000):
> > We did some paper searching on the issue during the meeting, and the
> > name "Minnaert" shader was also (ab)used by NVidia, making a variant
> > (nicked Minnaert-B by some) that gives substantial different results.
> > To prevent having a menu with too many confusing choices, it was
> > decided to make that a sub-option for Minnaert itself.
> > Check this, it's very different;
> > http://accad.osu.edu/~bwatkins/ADC/Hw6/hw.html
> As far as I know, the version that's currently in tuhopuu (after
> Jonathan Merrit's modifications) already cover both these cases. When
> the 'Dark' value is negative, it gives results similar to MinnaertB,
> when it is positive it looks like Minnaert. It's the one nice simple
> slider, and works very well.

But the name is misleading, so is the name proposed in t3 list, other
shaders have the proper name with the proper controls, so I do not see
why not name it Minnaert and put a B toggle, or put Minnaert and
MinnaertB. This way avoids problem when people really need to know
what is behind (like addapting materials from other apps, or using as
simulation tool). People that do not need to know about the detail
should not have problems: yet another shader named after someone, just
"play with the control until it looks as desired".

GSR