[Bf-committers] Re: Minnaert shader

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Tue Apr 5 11:16:53 CEST 2005

> We did some paper searching on the issue during the meeting, and the
> name "Minnaert" shader was also (ab)used by NVidia, making a variant
> (nicked Minnaert-B by some) that gives substantial different results.
> To prevent having a menu with too many confusing choices, it was
> decided to make that a sub-option for Minnaert itself.
>
> Check this, it's very different;
> http://accad.osu.edu/~bwatkins/ADC/Hw6/hw.html

As far as I know, the version that's currently in tuhopuu (after
Jonathan Merrit's modifications) already cover both these cases. When
the 'Dark' value is negative, it gives results similar to MinnaertB,
when it is positive it looks like Minnaert. It's the one nice simple
slider, and works very well.

Check this demo image I made in tuhopuu:
http://mke3.net/blender/etc/minnaerttest.jpg

Cheers,

Matt

PS. Sorry for these weird thread-killing emails I've been sending. I
haven't been able to receive bf-committers emails lately due to some
weird mail problem, so I'm copying and pasting my replies from the web
archives :(