[Bf-committers]

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Apr 5 10:48:31 CEST 2005

Hi,

>> 3) Patches/Tracker
>> -Minnaert shader should be changed so that user can choose either the
>> standard Minnaert shader or a variant, to be called 'minnaert-B
>
> Uh, this would be *really* overcomplicating the issue. Minnaert is
> such a specific usage shader already, having two variants that are
> only marginally different would be overkill. I second Jorge's
> suggestion in the dialogue he's started on the tuhopuu-devel mailing
> list (
> http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/tuhopuu-devel/2005-April/
> 001277.html ) - just keep the current nice, simple and usable
> implementation as is, and rename it to something like "velvet/satin"
> or whatever, so pedants don't get offended that it's not the 'real'
> Minnaert formula. To most users, the end visual appearance is what's
> important.

We did some paper searching on the issue during the meeting, and the
name "Minnaert" shader was also (ab)used by NVidia, making a variant
(nicked Minnaert-B by some) that gives substantial different results.
To prevent having a menu with too many confusing choices, it was
decided to make that a sub-option for Minnaert itself.

Check this, it's very different;
http://accad.osu.edu/~bwatkins/ADC/Hw6/hw.html

Needs to be verified though, who knows this person made an error. ;)

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org