[Bf-committers] opengl & glsl

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Apr 5 10:39:57 CEST 2005

Hi,

> hola,
> at first, I agree with you ...
> I heard blender needs opengl coders ... I didn't think of it as to put
> all current opengl stuff to the brand new 2.0 version, still I am more
> familiar with 1.2 as with 2.0. I also didn't mean it as I put some code
> here on next sunday :), I also meant it like long run - I hardly ever
> start coding without planning ...
>
> As for simple small steps I'd like to do:
> - what about button for turning light on and off? I find it natural and
> useful to add this ability (for tuning scene lighting), you don't need
> to put color sliders to zero, you can preserve light settings

The 'solid' view mode is meant for modeling purposes, with max three
default lights that already can be edited in the Info Window (user
settings menu).

> - and what about manipulators for camera? it is quite annoying to set
> clipping, or focal point for camera with sliders ...

Once we we've decided how to exactly offer the manipulators, code is
total mess now with all the different options, I like to check on how
to API-fy it, so it can be used for other tools as well (like bend or
warp, but also for spot or camera). This is not really ogl coding, but
UI level stuff. :)

We need opengl coders firstmost to check on proper behaviour for
Blender on all platforms. There are issues in the low level still
(Ghost library) with opening/closing windows. What OS and gfx card you
have?

-Ton-