[Bf-committers] Re: [Bf-blender-cvs] CVS commit: blender/source/blender/src drawobject.c drawview.c editmesh_mods.c

Stephane SOPPERA stephane.soppera at wanadoo.fr
Tue Sep 28 22:33:29 CEST 2004

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

>ton (Ton Roosendaal) 2004/09/28 11:43:37 CEST
>
>  Modified files:
>    blender/source/blender/src drawobject.c drawview.c
>                               editmesh_mods.c
>
>  Log:
>  Recode of 'zbuffer selection'. I first was too afraid using the backbuffer
>  selection method, since there's too much trash in drawobject.c and displists...
>  But, I couldn't stand the zbuf selection to miss edges too often. Right now
>  both methods are still in the code, and can be reviewed.

Ton,

Before this modification I was quite happy this the z-buffer mode since
it worked correctly with my graphic card whereas the Face-Select mode
(for uv-mapping) never worked (same thing for vertex paint, weight paint).
Now, when z-buffer selection is enabled, selection does not work with
any of the new selection modes.

Could it be possible to have a setting to re-activate the "old" mode
when z-buffer selection is active?

Perhaps it could also be possible to implement another method where you
can only select faces whose normals points toward the viewer (for
vertices, you can only select vertices which are linked to faces that
points toward the viewer,  same thing for egdes). If you have more that
one face (idem for edges and points) that satisfy this condition, the
closest one should be chosen (distance used should be computed from the
point of the face(/egde)  closer to the mouse cursor to the point of
view; or simply using smaller z in non-perspective projection).

This other method could also solve the 65k faces issue.

Thanks in advance,
Stéphane

--
Stephane SOPPERA