[Bf-committers] CSG object type update

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Fri Sep 17 06:17:29 CEST 2004

Ok, so far I have managed to do the following things toward making a CSG
object:

*  Added a new CSG Object type, and implemented the saving stuff.
* Managed to kindof add a mesh to an CSG object by modifying
add_primitiveMesh to return a pointer to a Mesh block.  This is done
when the CSG object is created.

Ok, so heres a few questions I have:
a): Is there any functions to draw a mesh that doesn't require the Mesh
to be linked to it's own Object?  Also, are Display Lists in Blender
compiled OpenGL commands, as said by
http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/displaylists/ ?

b):  How do lists in Blender work (I KNOW how linked lists works!!)?  I
noticed that metaballs elements do not use the Link struct to contain
their relative-list values, they just have a "*prev" and "*next" value
at the beginning of the struct.  Naturally I copied this as I'm using
the metaball code as a reference.  Is this a correct thing to do?  Not?

c): Why does some (all the code I've looked at) of  the mesh code rely
so much on the Mesh being linked to its own Object?  I've thought of
doing a constraint/parent kind of CSG thing, but I think having a CSG
object that is self-contained would be more useful.

joeedh

P.S.: I love Blender's design.  The implementation may be somewhat. .
.difficult to add to, but the design is by far the best I've ever seen.
[Warning: C++ ad follows :)] In fact,  I think that the design is
object-oriented to the point where Blender could be rewritten in C++
without changing the design at *all*.  .  .hmm.  .   .