[Bf-committers] Booleans

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Sep 13 13:14:17 CEST 2004

Hi Theodore,

I think it's wise to go in small steps with this projects.

- Most evidently we first need a good CSG operation which can be used
as a modeling tool. A first implementation can be based on current
Object mode, and as input the selected Objects (2 or more?).

- Then it's worth checking on having CSG inside of Mesh editmode too.
This to (interactively) drill holes in stuff, etc. Could be done by
(ab)using the current transform() code, where the selection moves
around and intersects with the rest.

Supporting 'real' CSG in Blender is not something I see happening
easily, this just is too far away from how hierarchies and
relationships work in Blender now.
We also have no CSG rendering at all, which typically is done with
tracing. My suggestion is to wait with evaluating that until we've got
it as a modeling tool working nicely.

-Ton-