[Bf-committers] Booleans

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Thu Sep 9 16:05:49 CEST 2004

At 04:38 AM 9/9/04, you wrote:

>My plan is to get it fully functional in python first (except vertex
>colors & UV coordinates because those are trivial) to test the
>algorthims used. Once it is functioning to satisfaction (hopefully by
>the end of this month), I plan to re-implement the algorithm in C (or
>maybe C++) as a replacement to the current booleans. So that would
>tentatively be rea-dy around mid october. Additionaly, I'm planning to
>make the C version available to python scripts, and maybe as a non
>distructive effect since people like the idea of using in animations and
>visualizations and such.

[snip]

Has anyone discussed the possibility of making the Boolean code capable of
handling real CSG trees?  IE; add a CSG Object, inside the CSG, add a
sphere and an overlapping cyl.  Parent the cyl. to the sphere, select
"subtract", and you have a sphere with a round hole.

Later, you can replace the cyl. with a cube, and you now have a sphere with
a square hole... Or change the operation to "interfere" and you have a
cyl./cube with rounded ends...   Or edit the cyl. and have the hole change
shape... etc...

The trees (ideally) can have an arbitrary number of levels, ie; the cyl.
could have children that affect it's shape prior to it operating on the sphere.

Even if you are not going to code CSG's, try to keep this possibility
open/easy for the future while working on your new boolean code...

Robert Wenzlaff
(aka Detective Thorn)