[Bf-committers] Global Undo Problem

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Mon Sep 6 14:11:47 CEST 2004

Hi,

I can't expect people to read CVS logs all, and still have to make a
page on this on blender3d.org. So here's an update. :)

Important to know this: it's still a project heavily in development, as
a proof-of-concept test. I was worried especially about unacceptable
speed & memory usage for undo 'pushing' (saving), which will frustrate
workflow. So for now, an undo push only happens on 2 places in the
source code (after a transform, and at pressing a button), which is far
insufficient for a real working undo of course.

Once the basic functionality is considered acceptable, we'll put energy
in integrating it well, which mainly will be adding 100s of undo push
calls in the code. We also have to review which hotkeys to use for it,
and for which actions you want it, and how much settings we should
provide for it (steps, memory, per window, etc).
After that, feedback on proper functioning of the undo itself is
welcome.

Also an undo or redo itself (a restore) still has some issues. It
currently has about the same speed as reading a file, which can cause
delays when for example a lot of display lists have to be calculated
(3d texture display, subsurf) or for particle systems. Will be looked
at.

The latest version of the undo code, committed yesterday, now uses a
full memory based system, with minimum storage requirements and
delta-compression.
Tests I did - and first feedback - give very positive results. On this
relative slow Mac (450 Mhz) I get acceptable undo-saving on files of 20
MB still.

Conclusion; for now only test the delays caused by saving undo (after
grab, after button press). That should be acceptable, or I don't even
consider to pursue this method. :)

-Ton-