[Bf-committers] RE: Bf-committers Digest, Vol 2, Issue 4

Stefan Gartner stefang at aon.at
Fri Sep 3 10:22:10 CEST 2004

On Thursday 02 September 2004 23:32, Bob Holcomb wrote:
> >could openQuicktime be used for linux?
> >- Cam
> >Jakub Steiner wrote:
>
> I'm currently looking at two different options.  One is a built in
> interface to a program like mencoder.  This will seperate the encoding of
> audio/video to be completely seperate from Blender keeping things modular,
> but it doesn't work backwards for importing video/audio into the sequencer
> (A big advantage IMHO).  The other is built in support using an abstraction
> layer between the different operating systems and Blender so that the Mac
> and Windows communities don't loose what they already have and the *nix
> communities get a bit more.  OpenQuicktime is a viable option for the linux
> community, when I get home I'll look at the API and the codec support.

At least for importing quicktime video, you probably could have a look at what
Rob and I did in tuhopuu1 (and partly in bf-blender). As far as I know, it
needs to be cleaned up a little (ie. get rid of the #ifdef's in
source/blender/src and source/blender/imbuf and make the code in
source/blender/quicktime a proper wrapper around apple's quicktime and
libquicktime (which I used on Linux and has a similar API to OpenQuicktime
and quicktime4linux). If you want to, I can take a look at it again and bring
it to tuhopuu2 and/or prepare a patch against bf-blender next week or so.

> cheers,
>
> Bob

greetings,
sgefant