[Bf-committers] Re: Audio/Video update (Ton Roosendaal)

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Wed Sep 1 15:09:29 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 06:11, Bob Holcomb wrote:
> Ton,
>
> Just wanted to answer some of your questions about ffmpeg.  It's a
> multi-platform/architecture library that can be linked statically or
> dynamically.  It also has no hardware dependancies.  I don't know if ffmpeg
> is the best library to use to do this, but it's the best one I've found and
> does seem to be feasible.  However, I'm open to suggestions for other
> libraries.
>
> platforms supported:
> Windows, Linux, OS X, SunOS, BeOS, *BSD, QNX

Nathan and I have also done some testing with ffmpeg.  It is possible to use
it using dlopen() (or Windows equiv. - actually a few #defines makes dlopen()
et al.  useable on Windows...) so its possible to use it without causing
_any_ dependancies.  If you have the libavcodec.so/.dll's, Blender will
detect and use them, if not it can ignore it.  Only cost is a dozen or two
pointers worth of memory for the struct to hold the function addresses.

Here's the test app. we came up with.  If you have the libs it encodes a group
of images as an Mpeg.   If you don't it exits nicely.  It's only set up to
read .ppm's right now (it was just a quick test).

http://www.soylent-green.com/ffmpeg_test.zip
New parents can never have enough child  psychology books.

     It will be 4-5 years before the child can
      reach the bathroom faucet without them.