[Bf-committers] Dithering

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Wed Oct 27 21:15:45 CEST 2004

At 07:21 AM 10/27/04, you wrote:
>... more organic feel. The only problem I would foresee is that it would
>screw with frame differential compression methods.
>
>Only if it is purely random. Floyd-Steinberg dithering uses a 'fixed'
>kind of 'noise' (it's not even noise), so it should also work well with
>those compression methods.

F-S has it's own artifacts we might have to deal with then (Worms).
(I had to implement F-S in programmable logic once.)

There's a school out there that uses 3 different fixed dither methods over
the range of gray scales where each doesn't have noticeable artifacts.
The  transition between them is made at the gray level where they both have
equally well dithered outputs (ie; in ranges where you won't notice the
change).

Robert Wenzlaff