[Bf-committers] AVI codec?

john tuffen john at namke.com
Mon Oct 25 13:02:12 CEST 2004

Quoting Alexander Ewering <blender at instinctive.de>:

> It's pretty bad practice to render your animations to AVI files, especially
> if you want to further process them, as the compression imposes a great
> quality loss.

Understood - and I totally agree (about the compression), hence my attempt to
render an AVI-Raw file first :)
...and a Render-farm isn't an issue at the moment (my other computers on the
network are so low-powered that they wouldn't be much help!) Anyway, it only
takes about 6 hours to do the render - time enough for me to sleep!

> This means that you should render your animations to uncompressed, seperate
> image files (Targa or PNG) anyway ;)

Hmmm, Ok then - in that case what software should I use to combine the 2600
frames into a file suitable for burning to a DVD?

I was a bit surprised that 'AVI-Raw' file could not be played on my machine (I
wonder if this is a bug somewhere, or whether a file-size limit was reached??)

cheers,

john..

--
http://www.iwari.com/