[Bf-committers] UI Rotation enhancement.

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Wed Oct 20 14:17:57 CEST 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Robert Wenzlaff wrote:

> If you use a split view it's there is another way to show what you want (if I
> understand what you want).

To all this business, maybe someone should look into the old instinctive-blender1
source, which had "local editmode", which basically does the following on
shift-tab:

  - Create an instance of the object
  - Remove any transformation from it (rot, scale)
  - Center and zoom the view on it (like dotkey)
  - Grey out the rest of the scene
  - Enter editmode

On exit, it obviously removes the "editing instance" again. It's all
user-configurable, too (what transformations to remove, if to zoom, etc.)

I found that exceptionally useful and much more useful than local view, as it
has the following advantages:

  - You can see other instances of the object changing while you edit
  - You can use transformations with constraints to global axes (local
    axes weren't available back in iblender1 times)
  - You can still see the rest of the scene in a greyed out manner
  - I certainly missed a few

Check the source, it's over at http://blender.instinctive.de/ (I think)