[Bf-committers] UI Rotation enhancement.

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Wed Oct 20 13:26:34 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 17:58, Jasper Mine wrote:
> This sounds incredibly similar to Local and Global views, and it has
> the numpad key "  /  "   as a toggle, very simple, one key press, focus
> on the object? But I guess you would like to see the rest of the scene
> from this view?

If you use a split view it's there is another way to show what you want (if I
understand what you want).

1) Make view 1 a top view, and position the cursor at your pivot point. Switch
to side veiw to get both axis right, or use Snap->CursorToSelection,  to set
it to an object.  Go back to top view.

2) Make veiw 2 a camera view.

3) In view 1 select rotate around 3D cursor in the header.  Select the camera.
Now, when you rotate the camera in veiw 1, veiw 2 will show what I think you
want to see.

Two notes:

1) I'm not necessarily saying "It's already there so we shouldn't work on it".
Since people are having trouble understanding what you want I'm giving a way
to simulate it so they can try it out and make an informed descision on
whether it needs an explicit mode/shortcut to do this.  If it's something you
use only once a project, then maybe the work to set it up isn't too bad and
the status quo wins, but maybe not...

2) You don't _need_ a split view to do this (I know you wanted to maximize
screen use).  If you place the cursor by whatever method, select rotate
around cursor, select the camera, go to camera view, and rotate, you can use
MMB to switch rotation axis and "tripod" around your point.  I find tripoding
a little awkward, and positioning the 3D Cursor requires at least 2 views to
get all 3 axis set, so I find using split view easier.

2a) And it doesn't need to be the cammera objet the view is seen from.
Ctrl-Pad0 will allow you to look down the -Z axis (+Y is "up") of any object
(including empties) for temporary camera views.
New parents can never have enough child  psychology books.

     It will be 4-5 years before the child can
      reach the bathroom faucet without them.