[Bf-committers] UI Rotation enhancement.

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 20:22:18 CEST 2004

--- Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:

> Well it depends on exactly what you're doing. Sure,
> if I'm tweaking fine details in a
> mesh, I'll zoom in nice and close. But if I'm doing
> other things, like positioning lights,
> objects, etc, I want to have a good view of the
> scene, so I can see how the objects I'm
> working with relate to the other objects, how the
> thing looks as a whole.

Which is exactly what I was saying. Whatever you're
working on, you want it to fill the screen, whether it
is a small part of the model or the whole scene.

> Particularly when I'm trying to set up a
> composition, I'll want to find a nice view that is
> similar to what the final camera angle will be, and
> set things up from that view - you
> know in 3D we have more flexibility than just
> 'virtual photography', we can easily
> manipulate our sets as we wish to create the
> compositions that we want :) Having the
> ability to orbit around a selected object means that
> I can easily check things from
> another angle, then go back to the original view.

And this is exactly why I don't see myself rotating
the view around an off centered pivot point. If I want
to match a camera angle for composition, I know
exactly where the real camera is looking at, I can
just center my view on that target and rotate the view
until it matches the camera. Doing this with a
different pivot sounds really painful to me since you
don't clearly set what the camera is looking at but
rather what it is looking "around" (for example,
rotating on a sphere on the left of the viewport would
make it always look "around" the sphere).

> That's fair enough - but we have a saying at home
> "don't knock it till you've tried it" ;)

I'm pretty sure each country has a saying like that.
Probably popularised by parents trying to make their
kids eat their brocoli/cabage/whatever ;)

regards,
Martin