[Bf-committers] UI Rotation enhancement.

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Oct 18 18:04:51 CEST 2004

> --- Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
>
>> Did I mention it's a very useful feature? Well, it
>> is :)
>
> Could you give any example of what it could be useful
> for? (I can't try your file here at work)

When you've got a scene set up, moving things around, and you want to
get a better view at another side of a specific object, or maybe a
group of sub-objects like verts. Right now in Blender, it involves a
lot of translate view, translate view, rotate view, rotate view, to try
and get a nice view again. Especially when there are a lot of objects
in the view, it's a pain to line it all up nicely when there are other
things occluding what you want to look at.

Another time when it's useful is if you have a BIG scene - you can
select an object far off in the distance and orbit around that, to get
a complete view from the other side, where as if you try that in
Blender, the stuff on the other side of the scene will just rotate out
of view.

Like Campbell said, it's a subtle thing - something that you probably
need to use a little to 'get it'.

> I have trouble thinking of a situation where I'd want
> to orbit around an off centered pivot point.

Well, to play the devil's advocate, what's so good about having a
centred pivot point? It's kind of arbitrary since what you're looking
at or working on may not always be in the centre of the screen.

Matt