[Bf-committers] UI Rotation enhancement.

Campbell Barton cbarton at metavr.com
Sun Oct 17 14:42:25 CEST 2004

Hi, I was talking to my friend who was a max user (before I employed
him) and he was saying that MAX has a rotate around selection mode.

At the moment thare are 2 ways to change the centre of rotation
1 - Go into local mode and the viewport rotation is set to the centre of
the object.
2 - Hit Ckey, the rotation is set to the cursor. (viewport
rotation/orbit- not object rotation)

I have been working on a large scene and its becoming increasingly
necessary to move the cursor to the selection (Snap menu) and hit C. so
I can orbit around what Im modeling.

I think a realy nice UI ottion would be 'Orbit around Selection' in the
prefs (Or possibly the 3d header in the view menu)

It could be coded from piecing together existing code in blender (So
what Im saying is even I could code it)

Basicly - Do a cursor to selection anc Ckey in code (I mean acess the
same functions)
Only difference is
* the cursor would not move
* The viewport would not pan to the selection.

This function would only need to be called then the user rotated the
view so minimal math/CPU overhead. and none while editing.

I like this since it follows the ruly- "Spin around what Im working on"
- The selection of couse.
And in many situations this is what you want.

Before I new about Ckey to change the point of rotation, I used
localmode to edit objects.

Another option which could be nice is- Rotate around whats seen in the
viewport, Im not sure this would be that handy butr its worth thinking
about.

- Cam

--
Campbell J Barton