[Bf-committers] subdivide tools?

Robert Wenzlaff rwenzlaff at soylent-green.com
Fri Oct 15 21:49:59 CEST 2004

At 01:33 PM 10/15/04, you wrote:
>question, with all of this new face and edge tools. Has anyone worked on
>cleaner subdivide and slice tools ? Like instead of tris the slices and
>sub divides could make quads ? I was toying with Silo3d and it has that
>kind of stuff down pat, sure would be nice in blender :P

As part of the knife tool I already extended the subdivide to make fewer
tris,  Maybe now that there is edge and face selection possible, there are
other possible combos, but there are just certain selections where
subdividing to all quads is mathematically impossible, eg; an odd number of
edges selected.

Subdividing 2 adjacent edges of a quad used to result in 4 tris.  Now it
gives 3 quads (though one quad will be triangular in shape, but it dose
have 4 edges/verts...)

But if you select only one edge (or 3), you either end up with tris (bad),
or you have to divide edges that the user did not select (IMHO, worse) .

Robert Wenzlaff