[Bf-committers] Looking for existing bones code

Roland Hess me at harkyman.com
Fri Oct 15 03:32:19 CEST 2004

Okay folks - I've pulled out so much of my hair on this that I'm
basically bald now. I have my pinBone feature working when you designate
root bones, but that's less than half-functional. I need it to work
regardless of what bone the user picks. To that end, I need the
following function:

inputs:
- a bone
- the armature associated with that bone (probably already known, so
don't want to recalculate)
and either:
- a pose or
- an action and a frame number from which to extract a pose

outputs:
- the matrix in object space of the bone, in the given pose (or at the
given frame in the action), taking into account constraints

It seems to me that this would be a useful function, and probably
already exists, but I have been unable to locate one that does this
exactly. Assistance from anyone with actual knowledge of the
armature/bone code would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if the function exists, but only for the current time, that would
probably work, as I could modify it to work for an arbitrary frame, as
opposed to the current one. Just as long as I knew I was working on the
right thing, I could do it.

Thanks

Roland Hess
harkyman