[Bf-committers] circle select problems

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Oct 13 20:53:38 CEST 2004

Hi,

The selection buffer is like a lookup table. It draws first, and then
waits for you to do the clicking, or borderselect, etc. What you
propose is not only rather complex, but also will slowdown
interactivity. As proposed solution for the less advanced 3d cards, not
very wise.

BTW; This same method already was there for vertex paint and UV face
select, with same limitation.

First thing we could look at is communicating this in the UI. Like
automatically switching off (and/or indicate with warning) that the
selection buffer has an overflow, so you can split the mesh in smaller
parts.

BTW; my first implementation was using Zbuffer values, which doesn't
have such a lookup table limitation. Unfortunately, not only the
accuracy was very disappointing but the OpenGL methods for it (reading
zbuffer values) not well supported among our platforms.

So, it's a comprimise, but it works very fast and reliable. I've used a
simple 16 bits gfx card for the past 2 years, and being able to
interactively model up to 32k faces with it is a good achievement with
such h/w already. :)

-Ton-