[Bf-committers] Another current CVS bug

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sun Oct 10 11:24:29 CEST 2004

Hi,

I need more information to find out what this is... the screenshot is
confusing.

This is what changed in the current CVS:

When you use buttons, or move with the mouse over a button, the 'live
updates' were drawn in the frontbuffer (using glDrawBuffers(GL_FRONT)).
Frontbuffer drawing always was one of the biggest problems in getting
Blender's UI working for all types of 3D cards. It is a not well
recommended feature even.
(Even 3Dstudio suffered this, and forced the market to accept KTX
extensions to have this working).

I did two things in the code;
1) cleanup to make sure 'live updates' are controlled centrally, and
not spread along the code
2) implemented a method that draws in backbuffer only, and copies
sub-regions to the front.

There are two methods now for the sub-region copy. Standard is
glCopyPixels, and alternative is a combo of glReadPixels and
glDrawPixels, which can be activated by setting the (F10 buttons) "Rt"
at '2'.
As alternative, we can also use the KTX code here, which seems to be
well working on the Windows platform with OpenGL (games use it a lot).

The current test now involves whether glCopyPixels does it work well. I
am very surprised your 3Dlabs doesn't do this well, 3DLabs is really
renown for sticking very close to proper OpenGL compliancy.

So; what you should look for is;
- move the mouse around in the UI over buttons, in what situations the
refresh is wrong? When it is good? Do the buttons in headers work? Do
floating panels work?
- Same for using buttons. Click on a button and check when a refresh is
wrong or good.
- try to see if there's a difference between 'Rt at 2' or not.

I need *any* clue you can find, try to disect this problem for me
finding clues that reveil a pattern or so, the only way I can solve it!

And oh, also verify with 3DLabs if your drivers are uptodate, and/or if
there's a reported bug with glCopyPixels.

And; please mention your OS!

-Ton-