[Bf-committers] EditMesh funcs must no longer be static

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Fri Oct 8 17:54:10 CEST 2004

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have severe troubles with exposing editmesh to python. This code
> was  not meant (at all) to be a stable and accessible API, and it is
> due to  change dynamically as well. The last cleanup round wasn't even
> half  finished.

But, its so stable.  And it is a nice stable and accessible API, in my
opinion.
I've almost gotten RC 1 of the EMesh module finished, and it works
fairly well.  Unlike NMesh, EMesh doesn't copy the mesh data to python
data types to work on.  Everything is done directly on the Edit* data.

> The editmesh is highly critical code that needs to be fully reliable
> &  stable, bothering about what's exported to third parties is not a
> requirement I like to see happening now.

This python module is a fairly low-level wrapper, so it will use *most*
of the editmesh stuff.

> So what's the focus of our Python API? It can't be replacing C
> coding... for that Blender wasn't designed at all.

The idea of this module is to allow Python scipts that can manipulate
the EditMesh.  This has been coming sine the Q* Window functions were
introduced in 2.34.

joeedh