[Bf-committers] Slow menu problem fix...

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Oct 2 00:49:39 CEST 2004

Hi,

I went over the UI code, and removed all frontbuffer drawing from it.
Instead there's a system that only copys pixels from the back to
frontbuffer and back.

The only frontbuffer drawing now is with glCopyPixels(), which *really*
should work on most systems. I hope. :)

Since I suspect that especially drawing commands (lines, polys, text)
was causing the slowdown, this could be method how to have speedy UI
again for many ATI cards.

Attached you can find a patch. Apply it in blender/source/blender/

PLease note that only the pulldown menus have coded with new system.
The normal buttons don't refresh now on mouse-over or click.

-Ton-

(BTW apart from speed & clean code, this method also will allow usage
of transparant 'overlay' messages or menus). Or using antialiased
drawing.)

(BTW2 it should be tested on sgi/sun workstations too, since they have
different swapbuffer method... is that possible?)