[Bf-committers] Some Maths / ideas / solutions for Softbodies.

frédéric van der essen fred at mentalwarp.com
Tue Nov 30 14:56:50 CET 2004

hello, thanks for the precisions. :)

But i have some objections ;)
In every paper that i could found on softtbodies/cloth it was written
clearly
"Do not use explicit Euler"
"Use adaptive method or Implicit method"
Instinctive softbodies use explicit euler, and if you take a too thin
mesh, it explodes.
Mabye cloth is not the guideline but people will certainly use it, and
it will crash with forward euler.
Users will think it's a bug, and not a mathematical limitation. It is
not controlable by the imput values since it depends on the mesh
resolution.
Because users will want bendable but not elastic cloth, they will set a
very low elasticity that will lead to stiff problem. Stiff problem leads
to a really small step, and then lot of calculation.
Even if it seems fast, it will quicly become a slow method with stiff
problems.
As in everywhere in pixar's paper i see 'do not use forword euler' i
really doubt that maya does it.
Cloth and softbodies are the same algorithms, so i think we should adapt
them to fit the most difficult case .
that was my point view :)

-Fred