[Bf-committers] Re: UI refactoring (was "IRC meeting minutes sunday 28th nov")

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Tue Nov 30 13:30:16 CET 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Michael Reimpell wrote:

>> I don't think this was discussed in the meeting, but there is also a
>> UI refactoring being done for (now) 2.37.
>
> A compliment to the developers of the UI refactoring! You managed to get a
> tidy interace without hindering the workflow or loosing the blender interface
> philosophy. Very good work!

I don't entirely agree, there are lots of things that now need more clicks
and more complex mouse movement to achieve the same - plus in some places,
much less information is displayed at once than before. But there are some
positive aspects of the UI makeover too, I agree.

> One thing I came across lately:
> On the material texture "Map To" panel are still toggle buttons with a third
> state. Probably all of them are unnecessary and just complicate the
> interface. For example for a bump map the corresponding values are the "Nor"
> toggle state (0, +1, -1) and the "Var" slider value. The only reason why the
> Nor toggle state "-1" is necessary is that the Var slider value is constraint
> to be positive.

I entirely disagree. That would mean that you'd have to

1) slide around up to 3 different sliders each time you want to test the other
    direction of mappings instead of just clicking a button once

2) You would be unable to have different direction mappings for, say, Alpha
    and Spec, unless you make seperate sliders for EVERY mapping function. And
    I'm sure you don't want that :)