[Bf-committers] Hello and questions

Yves Bailly kafka.fr at laposte.net
Mon Nov 29 21:24:26 CET 2004

Hello all,

I joined this list because I'm interested in Blender development, and
maybe I can be of some help. Let me introduce myself briefly :
- strong knowledge of C/C++ ;
- good knowledge of Python ;
- strong knowledge of the Qt library, but weak about OpenGl ;
- currently working on a CAD software - nothing to do with art, but an
  industrial-oriented, closed-source software ;
- work almost only on Win2k at the office, only on Linux at home ;
- I also write each month an article in the french magazine LinuxMagazine.

Now on to my questions, sorry if they're silly. They arose while I was
browsing Blender's source code (Doxygen is a great tool for this).

1- have someone ever considered to "convert" the whole source to C++ ?
  Stronger type checking as its advantages (and its constraints) ; this
  could also provide many interesting tools, such as those provided by
  the STL for basic data structures.
2- I noticed global variables where used quite often (like the "Global"
  struct) ; is there a special, precise reason for this ?
3- I praticed a little with the Python API, and I found it lacked some easy
  mean to create primitive meshes (cube, cone, monkey...). Looking at the
  code, it seems to me it would need some restructuring to provide such
  functions, for example passing the mesh as a parameter to the addverlist()
  function, instead of using the global editted mesh, or extract some code
  out from the add_primitiveMesh() function. Is there any plan for this,
  or does it sound useless (or event stupid) ?

Last word, I would like to congratulate and thank a lot all Blender coders
for their incredible work.

Best regards,

--
(°< | Yves Bailly  : http://kafka-fr.net   | -°)