[Bf-committers] IRC meeting minutes sunday 28th nov

joeedh joeeagar at prodigy.net
Mon Nov 29 20:41:58 CET 2004

Ton Roosendaal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) Bugfix release
>
> - Solaris bug in tracker appeared (got answer today) to be bug in
> their  OpenGL. Sun lab is fixing it. Which developer would be
> interested in a  free machine? Serious! :)
> - unresolved audio troubles still for linux, OSX audio error seemed
> to  be found today
> - Python, Yafray and engine fixes come in each day, excellent!
> - Ton is still on top of the tracker and handle each report daily.
>
> In general, it was worthwile keeping CVS frozen for a period. Will
> today make a page on the website with all fixes until now, and tell
> people what to test more.
>
> Expected schedule is to finally freeze CVS sunday, and have the
> release  builders make 2.36. However, we need a fresh testing build
> asap, so:
>
> TODO:
> - release builders: put up testing binary (release candidate) online,
> notify me so I can link to the binary or upload to our sit.
> - Splash team (Nathan, Bassam, Stefano): choose new splash, just go
> over the long list of cool submissions already done for 2.35. I will
> mail you personally a confirmation too.
>
> 2) New projects
>
> - Transform refactor
> Martin mentions steady progress, with some bugs to iron out. Scaling,
> constraints and support for Ipo Keys are on the todo. He also likes
> to  check on unifying new transform() with the ones now used in
> UV-Image  and IpoWindow.

Hay, I did scaling.  I even got it to work almost exactly the same as
the old transform().  Hm, I thought I emailed Martin a faily finished
source a while back. . .

> As 'candy' features to please users he mentions 'individual
> rotate/scale' in editmode (per face). Ton mentions painting tools
> support (like Zbrush), which isn't hard to add it seems. :)
> Martin will update stats in wiki.

 I've been thinking of this for a while now.  I think that this might
require a more unified transform data structure, where all the verts (or
objects) are stored, instead of just the ones that are selected.  Hm.

> - Softbody
> Jens Ole reports steady progress too. Goal spring forces (to original
> mesh), edge springs with automatic optional diagonals for quads,
> check  the wiki report;
> http://wiki.blender.org/bin/view.pl/Blenderdev/Softbodies

I've been thinking of ideas on collision detection, and as far as I can
tell, the only real solution is to use ray casting, since things like
cloth will have such small collision spheres, that the cloth will go
through an object (as I found out with my Cloth script that used SOLID).

> - Animation refactor
> As announced, the upcoming (now 2.37) release will be devoted to a
> refresh of the animation side in Blender. The Graph project will help
> with that a lot, but apart from that current code for Armature,
> Bones,  Armature editmode, PoseMode, Vertexgroups, Action editing and
> NLA  suffers lack of accessibility and clarity. Ton will act as the
> lead for  this project, to be started asap after bugfix release. Hos
> is available  for consulting. Wiki & forums and mailinglist will be
> extensively used  for feedback. Don't expect immediate miracles! Main
> target is:
> - speed (interactive)
> - integration (NLA & Action editing should just work)
> - allow work todo in 3d window (selection, visualizing, or parent one
> bone to another)
> - smarter armatures (joints, builtin envelopes for deform, hooks for
> python & physics)

I look forward to it.

joeedh