[Bf-committers] Softbodies

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Mon Nov 29 04:32:27 CET 2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] frédéric van der essen wrote:

> Hello !
> I want to improve Instinctive blender's softbodies system.
> I plan to add some aerodynamics,  better stability, friction, More complex
> interactions, and if i can, self collision.
> But i want to know what is the current state of the official softbodies
> system, if there is somewhere i can find the
> sourcecode, or who i should contact, i don't want to code things that already
> exists :)

As far as I know, Jens Ole Wund (I think that was his name :) has started
implementing a mass-spring model there, but it doesn't yet support collision.

Apart from that, only a framework for modifying meshes has been created by
Ton. In instinctive-blender, I use the existing Effects system (like Wave,
Build) for that.

My system could be adapted easily to work with Ton's mesh modifier system,
and it is tested and working code, so I don't think it would be a big
problem to incorporate it into the official tree as a possible mode/choice.

But I don't want to step on Jens' feet :)