[Bf-committers] water painting

Tom Musgrove tommusgrove__ at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 20:56:54 CET 2004

[QUOTE] I would mind.[/QUOTE]

'm curious if you have used programs such as Deep  Paint 3d, or ZBrush?  It
is standard part of 3d projection paint tools.

[QUOTE]  Stuff like this at best belongs as a post-process plugin.[/QUOTE]

You want to do it in 'post processing'?  Do you not understand the
difference between a post processing effect, and a texturing capability, or
are you not involved in texturing models?  This isn't a 'rendering' effect,
if I were interested in 'water color' rendering, I would likely have linked
to research on that topic.

I'm interested in improvements to projection painting methods (among other
things), which to be competitive,  is generally going to require most of the
standard tools available in 2d painting tools.

[QUOTE] It's hard enough to find things, and the slightest changes can
already have dependancy ripples that break things. [/QUOTE]

Which is why we have a process of code clean up and refactoring, to improve
'robustness', 'modularization', and even more importantly 'generalization'.
(Hint, most of the work needed to do this is generalization)  Your complaint
is unrelated to the feature, and indeed the steps needed to integrate this
feature will likely improve those things that are apparently your true
concenrs.

[QUOTE] Anything that has a very limited application should be
externalized.[/QUOTE]

And what is a 'very limited application', you seem to have self identified
as the determiner of what features texture artists need and will use most?

[QUOTE] We can debate whether the "of limited use" line should be drawn at
needed by 30%,
40%,  or 50% of the users, but it's pretty clear that this is well on the
other side of 10%.[/QUOTE]

As noted above, the majority of coding needed are in terms of generalization
of the current tools, not in coding specific to a 'water color' effect.

[QUOTE] If you are only interested in this particular effect, this can
actually already be done by writing a sequence editor plugin.[/QUOTE]

Okay I think I've explained the difference between a texturing tool and a
post processing or rendering effect.

LetterRip