[Bf-committers] Status of 2.35a/b

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Nov 25 23:34:20 CET 2004

Hi,

To prevent discussions going off topic :), this mail is not meant to
discuss what we can do in general on release cycle improvements,
stable/unstable releases, testing, or the like. It's imporant, but it
is something we don't have to urgently decide on.

What is important now is to pin down what to do with the current CVS
version. Looking at the amount of fixes that were already done, and go
on still, I'd like to stick to the proposal to keep CVS 'frozen', with
exception for important fixes only. Just stabilizing...

It is hard to predict in this phase what the right moment is to publish
another binary release. We can review this sunday again - on mailing
list and IRC meeting.
However, the current release does have a couple of disturbing errors,
which is important not to keep online for too long. So I really hope we
can do the final update/release asap, in 7-10 days.

Still prefer to name that release 2.36, as result of three weeks
stabilizing after all changes in 2.35. The work that's currently being
scheduled - like for armatures, new transform, softbodies, UI work,
raytrace patches, etc. will likely take a while, and at least it's good
to then have a 'stable' release online to refer to.

Schedule could be;

- post big article on websites with links to test binaries, list of
issues & solved bugs, and call for "last chance" to get your bugs fixed
(I can do tomorrow)
- post test binaries (2.35c whatever) around sunday
- post final 2.36 release the week after.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org