[Bf-committers] Localization

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Nov 24 21:08:22 CET 2004

Hi,

> What's the status on localizing Blender? Are systems in place to allow
> localization? Is there a management team?

There was only half working efforts to coordinate this in a more
organized manner. Sofar only Dave Stone has expressed interest in
coordinating issues.

What we could use is;

- clear guidelines on website, the link below is another unfinished
sample...
   http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Internationalisation_HOWTO.389.0.html

- a method for how we can ensure new releases to be upgraded as well...
this can only be done by making an excellent template in english first,
and make for each release a new one and somehow provide the translators
a diff?

- a way to split the amount of translation work in parts, so someone
can first choose to do the pulldown menus or toolbox. Then tooltips,
and last buttons itself or so

- a moderators team, also responsible for managing the code in Blender,
making the translation files, communicating with translators, etc.
There are already mailinglists created for it, but unused still...
Such moderators team also can be treated as "module owner" of this in
Blender, meaning they can operate pretty much independent, decide on
standards, specs, whatever. :)

-Ton-