[Bf-committers] GPU-Rendering

Arne Schmitz arne.schmitz at mmweg.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Nov 24 00:18:07 CET 2004

Am Dienstag, 23. November 2004 23:22 schrieb Ton Roosendaal:
> What could be done however, is using what yafray already is doing - and
> soon I hope with Aqsis - to make it an external rendering plugin. A
> team working on such renderer then can just target on these 3D cards
> and OS-es that support it.

Yep, that is definitely the best thing to do. That way one could try to write
a really fast raytracer and general purpose renderer. There are a lot of
things you can do with fragment shaders. I even saw some paper from last year
(or was it this year?) that did photon mapping, although it was not really
useable, since the result was really noisy and not that fast.

But the plugin idea is great. One could even start with the yafray description
language. I'm already using it to interface my homebrewed renderer easily
with blender  -- although yafray's language is not really the best, but for
something with a double-0 in the version it's still great. :^)

Most of the knowledge to implement high-quality renderers on GPUs is available
for free on the net, so why not?

Arne

--
[--- PGP key FD05BED7 --- http://www.root42.de/ ---]