[Bf-committers] GPU-Rendering

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Nov 23 23:22:22 CET 2004

Hi,

Although I agree that GPU rendering is extremely interesting to
explore, especially to develop a high end renderer for it, the horrible
reality is that even trying to improve one thing in Blender's usage of
OpenGL (no ugly frontbuffer drawing, but draw in backbuffer and flush
to front with 1 single call) already gives a myriad of issues in
implementation differences in all types of 3D cards, drivers and OS-es
people use.

I think it's very nice to support a very large set of hardware/OS
configurations, but that's also a very conservative force pushing us
back to using OpenGL 1.1 (maybe 1.2) only for the time being. How far
do we want to stretch this? How long to keep supporting old hardware?
Difficult issues for a 3D program like Blender...

What could be done however, is using what yafray already is doing - and
soon I hope with Aqsis - to make it an external rendering plugin. A
team working on such renderer then can just target on these 3D cards
and OS-es that support it.

-Ton-