[Bf-committers] updating the Makefiles

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Tue Nov 23 18:05:36 CET 2004

A couple of people have asked for a Clean up of the Makefiles

So I've stared the task.

Basically I'd like to clean up the targets
make it easier to find all of these goofy env variables
and any other suggestions people have?

Step 1.
Move (BLENDERHOME)/source/nan_*.mk to (BLENDERHOME)/*.mk  (note the no nan_)
mv obj dir out of (BLENDERHOME) so it is like the lib dir.

Step 2.
Clean up targets get rid of "Publisher/Creator stuff and other cruft"
Make it easy to add extensions here as well and document how to do it.
Proposed targets:
	blender
	gameengine
	webplugin
	intern
	extern
	release

Step 3.
Redefine/standardize the Definitions...  Removing NAN_ and making
them all BF_

Step 4.
Make every external lib have similar flags and also make it so that they
can be disabled if at all possible.
Example:  (The idea here is all of these can be overridden with envvars
and I just showed example defaults to clarify what they are)
  BF_SDL ?= /usr/local
  BF_SDL_INC ?= -I$(BF_SDL)/include/SDL
  BF_SDL_LIB ?= -L$(BF_SDL)/lib
  BF_SDL_LIBS ?= -lsdl
  WITH_BF_SDL ?= true

Step 5.
Redo/eliminate strange flags that enable/disable features...
If we do the makefiles smart enough then if the required libs are enabled
do that feature if not do not do it.  If not then come up with some way of
showing all of these strange defines.  Maybe have them defined in the
main Makefile and allow them to be overridden like the lib defines.
This last part will depend on what things look like when I get this far.

Anyone else have any comments/features they want?

I'll try to get something working in the next 2 weeks and have a download
people can try out.

Kent
mein at cs.umn.edu
http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein