[Bf-committers] Heads-up: Bump mapping, parallax mapping, etc

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat Nov 20 22:29:29 CET 2004

Hi,

Yesterday I was doing some reading and came across a bunch of sites
discussing various bump mapping techniques for realtime 3D. There have
been a bunch of improvements lately, including parallax mapping in the
upcoming Unreal 3 engine. After reading these sites and looking at the
screenshots it made me wonder if these techniques may be able to be
used for non-realtime rendered stuff, as a very fast alternative to
bump mapping, displacement mapping, or somewhere in between. Surely if
it can be done in realtime if would be pretty quick to render :) Right
now in Blender we have a choice between bump mapping (fast but not so
good looking) and displacement mapping (very slow to get something that
looks good). A few other choices in between surely wouldn't hurt, just
for nice quick faking.

Anyway, for whoever's interested here are some interesting links that I
found, discussing:

Various types of realtime bump mapping techniques in general:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/011292.html
http://www.delphi3d.net/articles/viewarticle.php?article=bumpmapping.htm

Parallax mapping:
http://www.infiscape.com/rd.html
http://www.brandonfurtwangler.com/index.php?p=33

The pictures of the various techniques really speak for themselves.

Cheers,

Matt