[Bf-committers] Boat mode for WAVES effect

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Sat Nov 20 05:53:12 CET 2004

Hello,

I've recently hacked the Waves effect badly to support moving objects
causing waves on the water surface. There has been a python script that does
this, I don't know how it compares to my solution though.

Demo: http://pub.instinctive.de/waves2.avi

Usage is very straightforward. There's a new mode "Boat" for the waves
effect, which supplies a Button for specifying the "Boat" object. Only
the center is evaluated as a single point in space causing the waves.

Both the speed of the boat and how deep it sticks into the water are
evaluated, as you can see in the movie (no additional IPOing done).

The deeper it sticks or the faster it moves, the deeper the wave it
causes at that moment (multiplied by Height variable).

I've also ported iblender1's logarithmic damping mode, which gives a
more natural progression of waves (they don't end abruptly as they used
to, but infinitely attenuate).

Speed is reasonable, no need for "baking" the effect. Of course, it
gets slower in later frames or the more often the object has stuck
into the water.

For speed improvement especially for logarithmic mode (which never
stops calculation, of course!), I've introduced SFRA and EFRA buttons
which specify the start and end frame of overall evaluation of the
effect.

If there's interest, it's super-easy to port to 2.36. If not, oh well :)