[Bf-committers] new feature list for animation

Charles Wardlaw kattkieru at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 03:30:55 CET 2004

How about this.

I firstly apologize that my coding skills are not up to par enough to
simply drop code on the list like so many of you.  I also apologize for
not making my cases more clearly.  Oh, and I'm sorry I page through the
mailing list messages, looking for things that sound interesting
instead of reading them all.  I'm human.

I use the animation setup, sometimes, in simpler scenes.  However, that
"frame slider" isn't really anything more than a quick hack.  For
starters, whenever you open it up for the first time in a scene it
shows *negative* frames, and needs constant zooming and adjusting as
the length of your movie is adjusted.  Also, it takes up valuable
screen real estate which could be better used in the 3D view itself.
And, I'm sorry, but does anyone actually *need* their frames divvied up
into sub-frames with decimal points?  (Yes, I know I can zoom out.
Thank you.)

I've mocked up an image of what I meant, as my words fail to convey my
message.  Please have a look here:
http://ministryofdoom.org/cloud/files/frameslider1.jpg .  As you can
see there's a perfectly good place to put it in the buttons window,
which saves the space used above.  In the case of a horizontal buttons
window the slider could also be horizontal along one side, scrolling up
and down instead of left and right.

As far as behaviour goes, the slider would automatically adjust its
beginning and end points to the animation's beginning and end points,
and clicking and dragging would move by 1 frame (without a key held)
and ten frames (with a key held).

Anyway, I stand by saying that Blender still requires a *proper* frame
slider and not just a window hack.  Since I don't understand the code
enough to write it myself you are, of course, free to disagree with my
opinion.

All of this aside, either way still requires some sort of frame caching
to keep the frames moving at a decent clip.

- cloud