[Bf-committers] new feature list for animation

Charles Wardlaw kattkieru at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 14:46:40 CET 2004

Heya,

If we're making a list, there are two things I'd love to see brought
over from Maya:

- A frame slider.  I'd like to be able to scrub through frames in
realtime.  The little number thing with the arrows drives me batty.
Which brings me to number 2...

- Interpolated position cacheing.  I'd like to be able to add a Cache
dataobject to objects, in the manner which Hooks are now added.  The
cache would store positions of certain things, like bones calculated
using IK, so that they're not calculated every frame as they seem to be
now.  Some positions of the IK bone (usually when it's not physically
touching the IK Null) cause the calculations on the chain to take an
obscene amount of time; in a scene I have there are six such chains,
and when I play back the animation it seems to calculate bone
positions, etc, every frame.  The ability to cache positions instead of
having them calculated would be a *boon.*

- cloud

PS: To the people behind the Outliner, you are my new gods.  All it
needs is parenting by dragging. ^-^