[Bf-committers] Undo system design

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Nov 17 14:37:36 CET 2004

Hi,

No, this is the proper maillist for such discussions. :)

I've never really investigated what 'proper' undo architectures are, so
your remarks on 'unified linear undo stack' I don't really get... what
would 'non-linear' undo be?

My remark in the release notes on the current undo issues are more from
a user perspective, with multiple different undo systems being in use
now (editmode undo versus global undo). This can lead to confusement,
and it is worth trying to unify I think.

The current undo system does indeed include more features we can add
for a next release yes. The full undo stack can just be written in
files. Or even better, I thought of dumping the entire undo stack
including current project on exit, and just have it read back on
restart of Blender. Would be a very interesting experiment, and
certainly be extremely cool to show off. :)

Whether Blender has a 'farsighted design' opinons can differ though,
I'm usually quite humble about that. But for presentation/marketing of
our project it wouldn't hurt to emphasise some more of the good things
in Blender, so a text as you wrote below should be at least quoted on
our blender3d.org website!

-Ton-