[Bf-committers] Undo system design

Goran Kocov gkocov at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 13:09:29 CET 2004

Hi!

While browsing through the 2.35 changes documents
yesterday, I noticed that the undo system design is
still not completly resolved and that there's a
possibility of switching to a unified linear undo
stack.

Since in many design decisions, Blender has proven to
be years ahead compared to other 3D apps (excelent
example is the UI with the non-overlaping windows, the
widgetless transforms, etc. resulting in a nearly
unsurpassed workflow), I see the flexible and elegant
solution of a non-linear undo system (which is, in a
large part, already implemented) as a possibility once
again to show the 3D world the farsightedness of
Blender's design.

I'm not very familiar with Blender's architecture, so
I can't tell the possible technical pitfalls of this
approach, but IMO, from a design point-of-view, going
to a unified undo system would be a *bad* decision.

Another very useful undo related feature would be the
capability to save the undo stacks in the blend
project file, thus enabling the user to undo changes
even after the project has been closed and then
reloaded. Once again, I don't know if this is possible
and/or practical with the current architecture (I
suppose the size of the project file would rise
exponentially with the undo stacks included, but I
can't see any other problems at the moment).

Goran

P.S. If the right place for this post is in the
functionality board mailing list, please tell me and
I'll move the thread there.