[Bf-committers] Sunday meeting, nov 7 2004

Nick Winters nickrwinters at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 20:54:52 CET 2004

it appears that attempting to use a fixed time for physics can cause
physics to take more an more time each frame.

see:
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/YinYangEvilSane/BlenderStuff/boxstack2.blend

[it may depend somewhat on my system, I have an athlon 2000+ and run
windows xp, with a radeon 9600se]

so, what I'd guess is happening is that on one frame the swap is, say,
half a second

the next frame uses this to determine how many physics iterations to
do, so that would be 0.5*30 = 15.  If this frame takes more than half
a second to do [the physics alone could cause that] then the next
frame will do even more physics iterations.

and so on, and so forth

perhaps at each frame there should be a maximum number of physics
iterations done [say, 3] so that the framerate doesn't get slower and
slower and slower, but just gets slow [3 iterations/frame would be
expected at 10fps]

[it wouldn't surprize me if this is too late to fix now, I probably
should file a bug report anyway]