[Bf-committers] Mesh surface and volume calculation

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Sat Nov 13 06:02:49 CET 2004

Hi Franz,

Franz Münz wrote:

>Code changes where made to:
>source/blender/include/butspace.h (2 new macros)
>source/blender/src/buttons_editing.c (code)
>
>Please tell me, if something like this would be helpfull for Blender and
>whether i should provide the code.

I think this sounds interesting (although during a release is a
difficult time to post - as I've discovered - I've been told to come
back in 2 weeks ;-).  Maybe you could provide a website explaining the
algorithm you are using mathematically?

I have two initial questions:

    1. How does the code work with subdivision meshes?  Does it
calculate the volume and surface area at the current level of
subdivision, or just for the control hull (the un-subdivided mesh)?

    2. How does it handle volume calculations for "open" meshes (ones
which have no clearly defined "inside" and "outside")?  Does it detect
that they are open and refuse to proceed, or is there some arbitrary
closure condition applied?

I have several potential applications for this kind of measurement,
related to metrology of biological shapes (in particular the enclosed
volume and surface area of the equine hoof capsule), provided the
algorithm is properly explained somewhere.

Jonathan Merritt.